The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality gives public water suppliers 2 options:
- Require backflow prevention at each service connection that may create a threat to the public water supply.
- Require backflow devices and assemblies within a premise as outlined the state required plumbing codes.
The water suppliers usually do not have the capability to repeatedly inspect every consumer's premises for cross-connections and backflow protection. Generally, this would include the water service connection to each dedicated fire protection system or irrigation piping system and the water service connection to each of the following types of premises:
(1) Premises with an auxiliary or reclaimed water system
(2) Industrial, medical, laboratory, marine or other facilities where objectionable substances are handled in a way that could cause pollution or contamination of the public water system
(3) Premises exempt from the State Plumbing Code inspection and premises where an internal backflow preventer required under the State Plumbing Code is not properly installed or maintained
(4) Classified or restricted facilities
(5) Tall buildings
For more information please call 512-393-8008.