The City of San Marcos Mural Arts Committee seeks to commission a professional visual artist or artist team to design and paint a mural on an exterior wall located at 1000 Prospect Street. The mural must be substantially complete by the end of August 2019.
The artist stipend for this project is up to $5,000 based on square footage of design. Materials for the project will be provided by the City of San Marcos. The application deadline is Sunday, June 16 at 11:59 p.m. CDT.
Project Background and Goals
This location is an exterior wall at Wonder World Park, 1000 Prospect Street. The square footage is 711 square feet.
The goals of this mural project are:
- To beautify and add character to an area of town with a mix of established residential and business use
- Add to the growing collection of mural art
- Deter graffiti
The project should meet the following objectives:
- To create a mural with bold colors and patterns that is visually engaging for residents and visitors
- To create a local landmark that inspires people to take photos with it and share on social media
The selection of an artist, or artist team, will be based upon:
- Artistic merit of the design
- Appropriateness of the design for the location, including the scale, content, color and design in relation to the site
- Concept promotes themes stated in project summary
- Artist’s qualifications
- Originality of the design
The total amount to be paid to the artist is a stipend is $5,000, inclusive of the design and painting process. This does not include paint, brushes, lifts, etc. These items will be provided by the City of San Marcos in a quantity and quality that is agreed upon by both parties.
Timeline – subject to change
June 16, 2019 11:59 p.m. (CDT) Deadline for submission of proposals
June 17-28, 2019 Review, selection, and contracting of the artist/artist team
July - August 2019 Painting of the mural
Multiple designs may be submitted and must include:
- A preliminary concept drawing and narrative. The narrative should convey the artistic intent, colors, style of work, etc. Please send each image as a .jpg attached to an email and label with the artist’s last name, image number and image title. For example: Smith_01.jpg, Smith_02.jpg, etc. Images must be 1028x728 pixels (or smaller) and at least 72 dpi.
In a separate PDF or .doc attachment (NO LINKS IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL), please include:
- Timetable for completion of the mural.
- Contact Information (resume and artist statement are helpful and encouraged.)
- Suggested plan for utilizing community volunteers to assist with painting the mural.
- Estimated cost of materials.
Please submit proposals by June 16, 2019 11:59 p.m. (CDT) to:
San Marcos Mural Project
c/o Lisa Morris
630 E. Hopkins
San Marcos, TX 78666
Or email email@example.com