Police Testing Information
Those interested in becoming a police officer for the City of San Marcos must register to take an entrance examination. To register, complete the registration application.
The City of San Marcos' entry-level police officer examination tests applicant's reading comprehension ability. You will be given exactly 25 minutes before the examination to read and study a booklet containing police related information. During this time you should read and learn as much of the information as you can. You will be tested on how much of the information you can remember. You will not be able to take notes when reading the study materials or to refer to the study booklet during the test. An hour and 45 minutes is the maximum time allowed for the test. A study guide is available for purchase from Public Safety Compass.
Applicants who pass the exam will be placed on an eligibility list ranked by test score. If all conditions are met to become a police officer with the City of San Marcos, positions are offered as vacancies arise. The eligibility list remains in effect for a year from the exam date or until the list has been exhausted.
- Applicants must have applied online by the posted deadline for the exam and present a valid picture identification (e.g. driver's license, ID card etc.) to be admitted into the test site. Roll call will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. Applicants not in attendance for roll call will not be permitted to take the test.
- Personal items will not be allowed in the testing room (e.g. hats, purses, briefcases, cell phones, pagers, food, drinks, etc.). No one will be permitted to leave the building after the test has started until their test has been turned in.
- A score of 70 or more is passing.
- Applicants who pass and meet the criteria, receive a maximum of 5 additional points to increase their final score.
- An eligibility list will be established by listing applicants in order of final score. In the event of a tie in final score, the order will be determined by the date of receipt of application with the earliest date and time taking priority.
If you have additional questions about the test process, please call 512-393-8060 or 512-393-8000 for a Human Resources representative to assist you. For more information about becoming a San Marcos police officer, email Police Recruitment.