To apply for a liquor license in the City of San Marcos, please follow these instructions step by step:
- Obtain an application and personal history sheet from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), San Marcos Outpost, Old Courthouse Annex, 2nd Floor 102 North LBJ, Suite 200, San Marcos, Texas 78666. The TABC's phone number is 512-393-7744. Read the instruction booklet thoroughly. Answer all pertinent questions on the application form and the personal history sheet.
- Return the completed application and personal history sheet to the San Marcos Outpost office of the TABC as soon as possible. The quicker these are returned, the quicker your background investigation can be started. Once checked, your application will be returned to you.
- Take the applications to the State Comptroller's Office, instructions are on the application.
- After obtaining the appropriate signature at the State Comptroller's Office, you must take the applications to the City of San Marcos Development Department. The Planning Department will verify by letter whether there is a need for an additional permit or not. This office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Finance Building, 630 East Hopkins, San Marcos, Texas. The department phone number is 512-393-8230.
- After obtaining the Planning Department letter, proceed to the Utility Billing window to pay for any fees that might be due. The Utility Billing will provide you with a receipt or clearance memo.
- After obtaining the receipt of memo, bring the following items to the City Clerk in San Marcos for city certifications:
- Application with appropriate signatures
- Memo from San Marcos Development Services
- Receipt or Memo from San Marcos Utility Billing
- After you have had your applications certified by the Comptroller and the City, you will need to follow the remaining steps provided by the TABC office.