Chief's Advisory Panel
The purpose of the Chief’s Advisory Panel is to be a resource in the formation of strategies, development of community policing concepts, solicitation of customer feedback, and the enhancement of community trust.
Public meetings with the Advisory Panel are held on a quarterly basis and announced via the SMPD website and social media avenues.
December 21, 2020 - Public Meeting
The San Marcos Police Department Chief’s Advisory Panel will host a public meeting at 6 p.m. on December 21, 2020 at the San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins Street. Social distancing guidelines will be followed and masks are required for everyone attending the meeting. The San Marcos Activity Center capacity is limited to 44 people. Attendance for the meeting will be filled on a first come, first served basis. The meeting will be available for remote viewing through Zoom. Click here to view the meeting agenda and access the Zoom link.
Joining the Advisory Panel
The rotating membership of the panel consists of at least five (5) citizens from throughout the community who should represent a range of interests and experiences and four (4) members who are department employees from differing areas of the department. Community members should be from diverse backgrounds, including business, education, non-profits, public relations, faith community, and more.
Panel members serve a renewable one-year term. All members serve at the discretion and invitation of the Chief of Police and the City Manager.
Panel members must:
- Be a City of San Marcos resident
- Be a graduate of the San Marcos Police Department Citizen’s Police Academy
- Conduct a ride-along with an SMPD patrol officer
- Not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor offense. Common examples of disqualifying misdemeanors are fraud, theft, and narcotics offenses. These items will be considered by the Chief of Police on a case by case basis.
- Have shown an interest in community and/or civic involvement.
- Frank Arredondo
- James Bryant, Jr.
- Nicholas Costilla
- Bucky Couch
- Olivia Juarez-Reid
- Nathan Kindred
- Gary Pack @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Eric Charleswell
- Jesse Saavedra
- Jessica Todd
- Karen Zavala @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>