Resident Resources

CDC Guidance on Face Masks

If you have been vaccinated...

The CDC says that fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.

If you have not been vaccinated...

The CDC recommends that people wear masks in public settings, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people. Effective February 2, 2021, masks are required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.

Here’s some additional information on how to properly wear face masks.

Additional guidance from the CDC can be found on the CDC website.

Resources for San Marcos Residents

Resources and information are available for San Marcos residents affected by COVID-19. We’ll post links below as they become available during this rapidly-changing situation. 

Tenant and Landlord Resources

Visit the Tenant and Landlord Resources page or click here for information for tenants and landlords and utility, rent, and mortgage assistance options at a glance. 

San Marcos Public Library Resource Guide

The San Marcos Public Library has created a Resource Guide for our community.

Doing Business with the City Remotely

Many important tasks, such as paying utility bills, can be handled online. The City’s Utility Payment Services Department has implemented changes to its normal processes to assist customers. Read more here.

Texas Department of Health and Human Services

Texas Health and Human Services has multiple resources available to people who qualify.

Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center  

For those experiencing family violence, sexual assault, dating violence or child abuse in the community, the Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center is ready to assist. Please call the 24-hour crisis HELPLine at 512-396-4357.

Crisis Counseling and Mental Health Hotlines

Texans Recovering Together COVID-19 mental health support line:  1-888-690-0799

Texas 2-1-1: Dial 2-1-1 to connect with resources offered by Texas Health and Human Services.

Hill Country MHDD Crisis Hotline: 1-877-466-0660

Texas Health and Human Services has launched a 24/7 statewide mental health support line to help Texans experiencing anxiety, stress or emotional challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit Texas Health and Human Services for more information.

The Greater San Marcos Youth Council is offering resources for children and family members. Tips on reducing stress, activities for children, and other helpful information is online, and staff is available to help find additional resources.

Here are some tips on how to reduce stress during this time. 

Reduce anxiety with healthy actions such as:
1. Washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. 
2. Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, arm, or elbow if you don’t have a tissue.
3. Disinfect any objects or surfaces that may have come into contact with germs.

Ways to feel more calm: 
1. Realize that it is understandable to feel anxious and worried about what may happen, especially when many aspects of life are being affected.
2. If you find that you are getting more stressed by watching the news, reduce your exposure, particularly prior to sleep.
3. Try yoga, exercising, listening to music, or doing puzzles. Keep the mind occupied when you have free time.

Here are more resources to help:
  • Hays County Food Bank

    • Hays County Food Bank will be offering drive-thru pick up service.  Even if you do not meet the usual guidelines for the Food Bank, if you have lost your job, or lost your sole provider, then you may be eligible for a set period of time. Some important reminders: please don’t attend a distribution if you are sick. Please call to schedule a donation drop-off, 512-392-8300. Check their social media and website for updates and helpful information.
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

  • Central Texas WIC



Visit the Student Resources page.

Veterans Assistance

Veterans programs may be able to provide rent and utility assistance now to qualifying veterans.

Virtual Recreation Center

It is your place for recreation, leisure, education, and resources through COVID-19. We are committed to ensuring that our community has resources to maintain healthy and meaningful lives. Check out the Parks and Recreation Dept.'s Virtual Recreation Center

COVID-19 Funeral Assistance

The application period for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance begins on Monday, April 12, 2021. You must apply over the phone at 844-864-6333 on or after April 12, 2021. FEMA will not accept online applications.

If you intend to apply for this assistance, you should gather the necessary documentation before you apply. Refer to COVID-19 Funeral Assistance for more information.

If you would like to volunteer your services and time, visit the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster. For information about COVID-19 vaccines, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) COVID-19 Vaccines or dial 2-1-1 for the United Way or visit

Your Money: A Hub for Help during the Coronavirus Crisis (from NY Times)

Find info about IRS/taxes, Housing/evictions and Unemployment, plus much more on the NY Times website.

United Way of Hays and Caldwell Counties

United Way of Hays and Caldwell Counties has reinstated their disaster relief fund to assist those affected by the COVID-19 virus, particularly economically, in Hays and Caldwell counties. They are working with their partners to distribute these funds directly to those in need throughout Hays and Caldwell Counties in the coming days, weeks and months. There is not currently a process for the public to apply for these funds.  United Way asks that members of the public be patient as they raise the critical dollars to assist as many of our community members as they can.

If you would like to help your neighbors in need, please visit the United Way of Hays County website and follow the link to donate. Donations can also be made by simply texting UWHAYS DISASTER to 313131 and following the instructions in the reply text.  Those wishing to donate by check can do so by sending your donation to UWHC, PO BOX 1728, San Marcos, TX  78667.  Please be sure to write “Disaster Relief Fund” on your check to ensure that your donation goes directly to those in need.

Aunt Bertha is a free service that shows by zip code many organizations that can assist in a variety of ways, such as food, medical care, job training, and more.

Printable info sheets