The first step in being prepared for an emergency is making an emergency plan. Talk with your family and make sure everyone knows what to do during an emergency.
Your plan should include:
- Where and how to exit your home safely (doors, windows and stairways)
- A location, outside your home, where you will meet
- The location of your emergency kit
- The name of a person away from the emergency who can act as your family’s contact if you get separated at any point. Make sure that everyone knows this person’s name, address and telephone number
- A list of key telephone numbers and addresses
- The emergency plan at your children’s school / childcare center / or day program facility
- A plan for your family in case you are separated – who could your children call for help or for information?