The first step in being prepared for an emergency is making an emergency plan. Talk with your family and make sure everyone knows what to do during an emergency.
Your plan should include:
- Where and how to exit your home safely (doors, windows, and stairways). Know two (2) ways out
- A location outside your home where you will meet
- The location of your emergency kit
- The name of a person outside the area who can act as your family’s point of contact if you get separated at any time. Make sure everyone knows the person’s name, address, and telephone number
- A list of important telephone numbers and addresses
- The emergency plan at your children’s school / childcare center / or day program facility
- A plan for your family in the event you are separated – who could your children call for help or for information?